Initial evidence collected by authorities so far show no involvement of any of their personnel on the case of slain lawyer Atty. Eric Jay Magcamit, according to PCOL Dionisio Bartolome Jr., Palawan Provincial Police Director, on a press conference held yesterday morning, November 20, at the compounds of the Provincial Police Office (PPO).
“As for the issue on the members of PNP who are probably involved, as of now, based on our records and evidence, currently, there is no member of the PNP from among our persons of interest,” Bartolome told members of the media, responding to the query of a local broadcaster regarding the possible involvement of police officers on the slay case.
The query was based on a social media post after a local legislator posted that Magcamit was “threatened” by four police offers on October 20 while on his way to attend a court hearing in Quezon town.
Bartolome denied the claim and narrated that based on their investigation, there were indeed four local policemen who allegedly flagged down Magcamit sometime in October due to a call from a source saying that the lawyer’s vehicle was parked on the wrong side of the road and was in there for quite a time.
“He was parked on the wrong side before ‘yung hearing niya. May inaayos raw siya, and may call na sinasabi na pina-verify sa pulis kaya pumunta ‘yung mga pulis–four personnel. Now, noong na-identify na siya pala, they even invited him, na kung anong ginagawa niya. Para hindi ma-alarma ‘yung ibang mga constituents sa area, they offered the police station para doon niya gawin ‘yung inaayos niya na dokumento and he refused,” said Bartolome.
“He also left the area. Wala ‘yung sinasabing hinarass ng pulis,” added Bartolome.
However, according to Bartolome, in the event that the special investigation may reveal any linking evidence that may prove the involvement of any of his police personnel, immediate action and justifiable consequence will be served.
“In the event that the investigation process may dissolve to the allusion or involvement of a PNP personnel, once this evidence surfaces, the ensuing investigation will be conducted and if evidence warrants, the corresponding charges will be filed. There will be no cover-up on this case and supremacy of the rule of law will be upheld, ” said Bartolome.
As of press time, authorities are stressing all resources on hand to point out any possible motive aside from the professional and personal affiliations of the slain lawyer.
Magcamit, 35 years old, was gunned down by two unidentified suspects at 7 am on November 17 while on his way to attend a court hearing in the southern town of Quezon. The lawyer was also a licensed broker and appraiser and handles real property cases.